23 July 2011

Week 25 - Recipe

Last week saw lots of you going round in circles and what super circles some of them were... thank you so much!
However we are now onto the fourth week in our rotation of challenges, so once more it's the turn for a recipe and this week it's a 
BUTTON OR RIBBON 
(or plurals thereof)


I'm quite fond of using ribbons on cards... even  CAS cards can still be embellished, as long as it is done sensitively and without too much ostentatiousness.
Here is my friend the teddy again from Indigo Blu. This time I have combined him with a sentiment from Studio G.
Today I thought I would share with you how I tied and attached the ribbon. 

Here you see the bowmaker and the instructions for tying a bow.

  • I began by attaching a straight piece of ribbon on the backing paper and sticking it down at the back.








I then began to tie the bow as per the diagram.











  • The tricky bit comes when the flat piece of ribbon on the card has to be incorporated into the knot.
  • When the short end is brought from behind and up and over to the front,(manoeuvre D) I tilt to bowmaker towards me so that that end of the ribbon can come all the way forwards and around underneath the flat piece on the backing paper, going from front to back.
  • It is then slipped through the last piece of the bow loop (manoeuvre F) and both ends are pulled tight.
It's fiendishly difficult to explain but a whole lot easier to do.
The basic instructions came with my bowmaker when I bought it quite some time ago on eBay, but I worked out how to add it to a straight piece of ribbon by trial and error!


My second card is in  primitive art style using a gingham stamp from Waltzing Mouse and heart stamp from SU. The buttons were made from a Die-namics die and coated with Glossy Accents. The ribbon was rescued from a gift and the sentiment, computer generated using Fabulous 50's font. I lengthened the spellbinders die-cut for this using the technique described here. Job done!


I have a few crafting pet hates! Two of them are ribbon stuck onto a card and trimmed at the edges or the ends trimmed with scissors that aren't sharp!
This was one of those cards that came together in a few minutes! I had a mental picture of the layout and placed a length of ribbon around the whole of the front of the card, sticking the ends with ds tape. I stuck the black panel next, then the embossed white panel. I tied a small piece of the same ribbon, pulled tight and held the lengths to be inline with the strip already in place, then trimmed to look like a bow. The flower is an old Anita's stamp I stamped in Stazon then lightly water coloured in a coral colour to match. The green gingham paper I think lifts the whole thing with a splash of colour.

My second card is pretty self  explanatory I think. The chandelier is a digi from Kaboodle Doodles.
This ribbon knot I did slightly differently. I took a length of the polka dot ribbon and did the one end over the other, as you would to make a bow. Before pulling tight I slipped a small length through the loop, then pulled tight. I think this makes for a flatter 'bow' The ends are secured underneath the embossed panel.

Remember to keep things Clean and Simple and just because you're allowed to use embellishments, don't forget the white space!!!


27 comments:

  1. Gorgeous creations Chrissie and Mandi! I will put more thought into my next entry later in the week! :)
    Lizy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe idea girls!

    I've even managed to make an early card for you!

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat idea for tying ribbons! Thanks again for the inspiration, I used it to kick start the mojo this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Girls
    Fabulous Challenge... Ribbons and Buttons...love both ...thanks Chrissie and Mandi ...

    hugs
    sylvie
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous samples... hope I have time to join in this week
    Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous creations love the tutorial its always helps :) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ladies, what gorgeous cards you've shown us. Chrissie I love the primitive art look of your card, you can't go wrong with a touch of gingham! I've got one of those bow makers but wouldn't have thought of using it like that, clever idea. Black & white is so elegant Mandi, a beautiful card. Now to go off full of inspiration & get mine done.
    Sally M x

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely cards!
    and cool bowtmaker Chrissie! I usually use a fork to tie my ribbons :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great challenge ladies! Your samples are fab and I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! Vx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvelous cards ladies. And thanks for seeing to tying a bow. I have a bow maker bur didn't know exactly how to do.
    Thanks
    Greet Marja

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh thanx for your tutorial! A friend made me a bowmaker last year, but I keep forgetting how to use it :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love ribbons and buttons but can I keep them CAS! Your samples are gorgeous as always. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  14. another brilliant challenge girls and wonderful cards,just gorgeous hugs cheyrl xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great challenge with some wonderful examples!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bow came our great! - I usually glue dot mine down - LOL.
    However I make tiny bows using a fork, same pattern flow but with a fork - they make the cutest little bows.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for a fabulous challenge Chrissie and Mandi - love your DT cards too.
    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Chrissie and Mandi,
    Both of your card designs are fabulous! Thank you for this weeks challenge, I love working with ribbons xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful cards, Chrissie and Mandi!

    I've been inspired to make 4 cards on my linked post, I hope that's ok! I only linked once, but if it doesn't count please just delete my entry!

    luv, Mags x

    ReplyDelete
  20. crikey...2 cards for the same challenge..well that's a first..hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, loved your cards and the bow. I was wondering.......could you make a video of it? It'd be so much easier to see it done! I don't have a bow-maker, but I'll bet my husband could make me one. But before I even ask, I thought I'd ask about a video to make sure I could do it! Thanks for even considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great challenge and super creations from everyone.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous samples, thanks for the tut, I'll try this one as I often struggle with my bows.

    Hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sorry ladies, I have tried to keep up with the postings but have failed miserably, however I have looked at all the thumbnails and what a clever bunch the LIMettes are.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the challenge. I really enjoyed taking part.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful tutorial, i'll be making many bows in the future! xox

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: SPAM COMMENTS WILL NEVER BE PUBLISHED!

Thank you for your support and encouraging messages. We love to see you on our personal blogs too.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.