09 April 2011

Week 10 One Layer Challenge - Sentiment Focus

What a bumper week we have had again...Thank you!
Along with Chrissie losing her laptop to the repairman for most of the week
and playing catch up from Tuesday evening, we were certainly busy little bees!
Before we tell you the challenge, you all have a new name!
"LIMettes"
Isn't is FAB, the super talented Sarah thought of it and we love it!
Chrisse, Mandi and The LIMettes...has a certain ring!

We thank you for your support of each other, leaving comments, we are getting big smiles from everyone enjoying double figure comments. We cheekily enough ask if you'd pop to our personal blogs too, we'd love to see you and thank you in advance for visiting us.

OK so without further ado here is the challenge
This will have your brains ticking over....

A One Layer Card with the SENTIMENT
as the focus of your creation.

Me first this week Mandi

Well I struggled myself this week!
I had to use the computer to generate my sentiment as I don't own too many 'word' stamps!
I used the Young Love font here
I used text boxes for exact placement. The 'M' of Marriage is quite a bit larger than 'arriage' to create a focal point. Try it if you use this method! I then set the 'M' to outline and glittered with my Quickie glue pen.
'is everlasting' I wanted completely plain and used Century Gothic
'Love' again is young Love which I placed low enough to make the heart. To get the shape exact I cut my Sizzix Hearts and used the cut out bit as a template. Punched the tiny daisies and stuck in the heart shape. I placed the centre one first and gradually added one side then the other for exactly

 matching sides. Luckily they reached the bottom one together...skill ha ha




This alternative was my first attempt,  I think the pearls look a bit wrong somehow, but thought I'd show you anyway!
As you can see my one Layer is still just that, with a few additions, probably bordering on too many!
Hope you like them anyway...Good Luck I think you're gonna need it this week!






And now it's over to me Chrissie
For my card this week, I tried to adapt a design I'd first  made as layered card, into a One  Layered version, and I have to say it was a much harder proposition than I'd originally thought,  involving embossing and lots of masking.

I began by embossing the oval on the card front, using a Nestie die, a magnetic sheet and my tan embossing mat.

  • I folded the card blank, turned it inside facing downwards and  placed one side of it on my Cuttlebug B plate (one side, the front in fact, was hanging out nearest me)
  • Next came the magnetic sheet, fitting snugly up to the fold of the card
  • Then the die, carefully positioned, cutting side uppermost
  • Next the piece of card which was hanging out was folded over the layers already arranged on the B plate
  • On top of this comes the tan embossing mat
  • Finally the second B plate was added and the whole sandwich was run through the Cuttlebug 
Once the embossing had been completed I then stamped the sentiment into the embossed oval.

The next part consisted of cutting masks using my Nesties for revealing the large oval surrounding the sentiment and another to mask the sentiment itself, whilst I used my SU Music Notes wheel to stamp the manuscript frame.
I sponged a little Distress ink in Antique Paper around the edges of both the frame and the sentiment panel while the die and the outer mask were still in position.
A little ribbon, and the card was completed.

One Layer does not mean plain and boring, small amounts of decoration are in order, twinkle and bling, embossing or a well chosen, subtle trimming can add much interest to a one layer card.

We really had to work hard on this one and we're sure it will be the same for you, but we know that you will rise to the challenge!

Enjoy the week LIMettes!

48 comments:

  1. Hi Girls
    bloody gorgeous cards as always, yep i think gone need a lot of luck for this one, but im gettin an expert now!!! pmsl, back sometime with a card!!sue,xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow guys, this is a challenge and a half! Amazing cards you've done, and super inspiration tips too so a big thank you again for those. OK, let's see, scratch head, thinking cap on..... Hugs, Sxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Girls... Love how you always challenge me to think (especially this early on a Saturday morning lol)
    Love the cards

    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful as always girls.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful challenge girls, your cards are gorgeous as usual xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning ladies and another fabulous challenge again this week!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cards for this week´s challenge! I´ve added mine! Love these challenges!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant5 Challenge again this week Thanks so much for running it for us xxx Hazelxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous again ladies, but ooh, this is a tricky one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this challenge although I haven't any BIG text stamps - will have a rummage.
    Love the DT work. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yet another fun challenge and I love your cards. All the effort of masking and embossing and time was worth it Chrissie, it's gorgeous. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for another fab challenge, this one certainly challenged me lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such great cards again girls! Oh my am gonna need to do a lot of thinking again!!! brain hurts already,....but I will get there. Love the entries already, well done everyone:O) Viv xx (fellow LIMettee) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous cards! Okay I am going to be brave and try this today - well out of my comfort zone!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic, gorgeous again.
    Love the cards.
    have a nice weekend
    Gr. Marja

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great challenge girls and your cards are fab as always , thanks for the inspiration
    Hugs Susie Sugar xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. HELLO,I HAVE A LITTLE PROBLEM, BERNARDET AND SHEILA OF CYPRUS POST A COMMENT IN MY BLOG BUT I CAN'T LINK WITH THEIR BLOGS.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS, I'M SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU IN MY BLOG.
    HUG FROM SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear - a scary single layer card!! Two super cards for inspiration though so will see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hiya ladies
    What beautiful cards again from you both this week..so pretty..i look forward to your challenges each saturday :)
    hugs
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another brain stimulating challenge lol. Great DT samples as always. Apologies if I don't comment on many blogs this week but my laptop hard drive was taken out by a virus this week when blog hopping so i'm being a tad careful. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've done it again....my poor brain is addled from trying to come up with a special card...I ended up making 4 cards because I just couldn't make up my mind...and my mojo is on vacation! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi girls....love your cards this week and such a fab challenge!

    Take care
    San x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh me oh my! This challenge is HARD! Especially trying to follow your gorgeous creations! *sigh* xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi ladies...your cards are beautiful as always. I'm not usually big on sentiments so it was a real challenge for me.
    Thank you.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm getting more used to stamping direct on to my card blank - still makes me nervous but I'm getting there! Your cards are great as usual and I've enjoyed looking at all the others posted so far too. Thanks for another great challenge!!

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chrissie thanks so much for the technique you have left on my blog with my cards (No 39) - I was honestly thinking of doing this when I did the set but couldn't for the life of me work out how to do it without cutting a big hole out of my embossing folders!!!!!!!!!!

    THANKS - I will try this :)

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, you make my brain work really hard every week but I THINK that's a good thing at my age! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your cards Chrissie and Mandi! Another great challenge but I really think they should come with a govt health warning now, lol!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great idea and I love your cards, Thanks again:0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Another great challenge, and gorgeous samples! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you Mandi and Chrissie for hosting this fabulous weekly challenge. And this week was truly a challenge for me; in fact impossible. I simply can't make a OLC. :(

    Your cards are wonderful.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great challenge and beautiful cards as ever

    ReplyDelete
  33. Some lovely examples here.
    I'm still not confident enough to make one layer cards, plus I don't have any text stamps, so I am unable to join in this week.

    I will keep my eye on your challenges & may try the occasional one in future.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Stamping AND sentiments...oooooh my favourite - really. Loved it. Thank-you for the mention - very kind of you. Great designs and uber-fab blog ladies.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just LOVED this challenge. Everyone's interpretations are so beautiful. Such wonderful creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Another great challenge guys,and your cards are just stunning,hugs cherylxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Terrific cards! both are very elegant ~

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wonderfull Dt work Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful cards. First time to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow - this one made by head hurt!! (But it was great fun)!! Love your beautiful cards.
    Sylvia x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Missed the last two weeks but I'm back. Great work girls. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely samples and lots of lovely entries too. just managed to find time today to play nearly missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. great tutorial and fab ideas for the cards..will give it go this weekend (hopefully)

    sylvia x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great tutorials every week and this week I have taken the plunge!
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gosh ladies another jammed packed week of entries - all totally yummy!

    Have a good weekend.

    Tina
    X

    ReplyDelete
  46. Lovely entries, I love to do a CAS card now and again, thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  47. So many beautiful entries this week. Mines on my blog, I was too late to enter...bad week!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: SPAM COMMENTS WILL NEVER BE PUBLISHED!

Thank you for your support and encouraging messages. We love to see you on our personal blogs too.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.