14 May 2011

Week 15 - One Layer Card

It was wonderful to see so many new people joining in our challenge last week, with some truly amazing WoW cards. It makes choosing our ShowCASed cards so much more difficult when the standards are so high. We also thought that instead of simply adding them to our Slideshow and our ShowCASe page we should give them the accolade they deserve and so from now onwards we will be adding a short post to show you the ShowCASed cards each week.
A huge thank you too to all those LIMettes who visited our personal blogs to leave a comment... we leave hundreds each week and it's wonderful to receive comments on our work in return.
With the problems with Blogger this past week we apologise as it appeared that we hadn't visited you... we did come but obviously couldn't necessarily leave a comment. 

And now onto this week's challenge... you know it's going to be a 
One Layer Card,
 but what you don't know is that it's going to be...

EMBOSSING
You may use heat or dry embossing.


Chrissie
For this card I began by stamping this new little Artemio frame stamp with  Sahara Sand ink and then embossing with Detail Clear Embossing powder. Then I stamped the trees with Early Espresso and again embossing, but the image came out with the frame bisecting the trees as you can see in the lower image in the picture below. SO then I realised that if I stamped the trees first, then they would have complete coverage and the frame stamped in the lighter ink, magically disappeared from on top of the trees and just appeared behind and around them, after I had done the embossing. Interesting huh!
I did have a fancy for using the buff coloured card, but after my test run decided to use white, where the image had more impact. The bird below, came with the tree and frame stamps but I decided to go with a smaller version from Inkylicious. The sentiment is from Hero Arts, positioned using my Lego (see week 1).


Now on to me, Mandi
Firstly, I must apologise for apparently not getting round to you all this week. 
Blogger breaking down was so not good!


For my card I have, as you can see, stamped flowers. I want to share a little tip with you.
I wanted the Stampendous 'Ruffled Flower' in black as the detail shows up much better using a dye based ink pad, or in this case 'Stazon' I stamped 3 times, going off the edge of the card, then stamped the other flowers randomly in pink [Melon Mambo] and orange [Peach Parfait]
To purchase Stampin Up from me click here
The sentiment I stamped with Versamark and heat embossed with gold. 
To emboss the little dots in the middle of the ruffled flower I used my Quickie Glue Pen. Whilst the glue is still wet, sprinkle with embossing powder and then heat just as you normally would. This is particularly great when using a digital image. You are able to pick out little elements, such as dots, swirls or flower centres.


Many people have expressed difficulties when embossing using black embossing powder. Here are a few tips as there are various ways of avoiding the dreaded black dots.


  • The first thing to consider is the type of cardstock you use... certain ones love to grab those tiny suckers and hang onto them. The smoother the cardstock, the easier to heat emboss is the general rule.
  • Using a little talc on a cotton wool ball and rubbing it over the area to be embossed acts a little like an anti-static bag.
  • A piece of used Tumble dryer sheet is another way which people swear by.
  • If card is too absorbent, then too much of the Versamark or other ink is absorbed by the card and is not so attractive to the embossing powder.
  • If you use too much heat or leave the heat on the embossing for too long, then a very grainy finish occurs instead a a smooth glossy image.(This is also dependent upon the type of powder used.)




** A little note about embossing. Chrissie has given a lot of tips to you all re keeping your card stock mark and dust free. I'd also like to mention that an alternative way to emboss with black is to stamp with a pigment black ink, then clear emboss. It keeps the detail well and tends to have a 'cleaner' finish. **


The last few days have been very odd with the inaccessibility of Blogger... then with people's posts disappearing, sometimes to reappear minus their comments. All very bizarre, but hopefully this week things will be back to normal. 
DO join us... how inventive can you be?

37 comments:

  1. Oh this will be a great week!! What a fab theme! Thanks Ladies! But bad blogger seriously upset my plans, lets hope it plays ball this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this challenge - off to have a think - will be back later. Mandi & Chrissie - your cards are just beautiful!!

    All my posts, comments are back - so I think Blogger is beginning to feel better - let's hope it continues that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness blogger's back on! The idea of hundreds of desperate LiMettes out here needing their fix doesn't bear thinking of! Thanks for another fab Challenge ladies - you always come up with great ideas. Vx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both beautiful card, I am going to get my thinking cap on.
    jenjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous examples!I'm looking forward to the challenge and that feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your examples ladies and as ever a great challenge. THank you. Zx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for another fab challenge! And I think I will definitely be challenged this week! If Blogger plays ball all week! ;)
    Lizy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for brighten up my Saterday mornings!! Lovely cards! I´ve added one too!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the cards. I've added mine just now. Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cards again C & M & fellow LIMettes, hmmm the dreaded one layer card week again!!!! you do get our minds thinking though , embossing.....off for a think :O) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both cards are gorgeous. Thanks for all your hard work in keeping the challenges coming - you inspire us all
    Margaret x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cards are beautiful. I'm not keen on heat embossing. I did give it a try and you don't really want to see the finished product! I'll have to stick to my dry embossing and give it another go later. Too tired and frustrated to go on at the minute. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great challenge this week.
    Love your DT cards.

    Hugs, Sandra My card is HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous samples from both of you when they came up on my Dashboard had to check them out. Well said about visiting last week was in complete admiration at you both for visiting each and every entrant. Thank you XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both your samples are gorgeous! I've been doing A LOT of dry embossing lately as I just got a Sizzix Texture Boutique. So, I'll have to experiment with my new toy and see what I come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Challenge and great cards. Beautiful. Love them.
    gr. Marja

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was quite pleased when I saw this weeks challenge on Friday as I have just been embossing again a little bit lately. 10.35 Saturday night, changed my mind. None of it the lovely Boss's fault.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning cards ladies Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful cards Chrissie and Mandi and a great challenge as usual. Thank you both for continuing to comment on everyone's cards. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for another lovely challenge ladies

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've loved joining this weeks challenge attempting something so out of the ordinary for me,so thankyou,your hints and tips are very helpful,Julie.x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not sure I've ever made a 1 layer card, but I'm going to give it a try! Love your examples!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This challenge has so got my creative brain working!a little question,does the image have to be stamped or can a digi image be used? I'm hoping so,I've had a card going through my head all night lol!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Most certainly can us a digi
    the only 'rule' is that the card is one layer

    Diva LIM mandi
    Less is More
    Also replied on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another fabby challenge ladies thank you!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really enjoyed this challenge, thanks ladies
    Janet M

    ReplyDelete
  27. gorgeous cards from both of you,just love what you guys,create hugs cheryl xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Mandi and Chrissie
    Another Fab Challenge .....
    hugs
    sylvie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW Love the cards this week ladies, Not been about as much lately as Mr Mojo had vanished but he came back to play today!!! LOve Hazelxox

    ReplyDelete
  30. enjoyed it so much now linked 2nd attempt

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the DT cards! Thank you for a great challenge!

    luv, Mags x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another great challenge.
    many many beautful cards, I am going to visit some not sure I will get to all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. More not less inspiration lol, don't know how you lovely ladies come up with your ideas but you truly are both an inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just sneaking in at the last minute! Great theme and gorgeous samples. So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sorry to be late with my card.... just got in by the skin of my teeth cos I've been so busy this week! I promise I will look through everyone's tomorrow..!!
    Hugs
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous cards once again and another "fun" challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. So many lovely cards - so many different ideas... I know I promised to go through a comment this morning as I hadn't had time this week, and I have done a few.. but I've got to pack this afternoon.... so I will just say WELL DONE to all..... such fantastic ideas and fabulous cards!
    Hugs
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: SPAM COMMENTS WILL NEVER BE PUBLISHED!

Thank you for your support and encouraging messages. We love to see you on our personal blogs too.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.